Packing, Purging.... Re-packing.

It seems as if the last week of my life was like a child in a sandbox making a pile of sand, then moving and making another pile, and more and more piles until she is surrounded by mounds until she has to stand up, brush herself off, and carefully navigate her way to the edge, tip-toeing between the heaps. Except with me it is not sand, it is the treasures, clothes, pictures, cards, books, and random nick-knacks that I have collected over the last 35 years. I question what I should keep, what goes to Goodwill, what I should store in the closet of my parents extra bedroom that they won't look in until I get back in 27 months, and what I should take with me. A favorite pair of pumps, a bracelet which carries sentimental value and those curve-hugging jeans are all great to have here in Southern Cal, but will they be useful in Macedonia where the temperatures get below freezing in the winters and as hot as hell in the summer? A big part of it is when the realization that I am actually leaving hits like a pit in the middle of my stomach, then my head gets light like a drop on a roller coaster and I just lay there in the middle of my piles contemplating my life in the past, present and future. For me, I see life as a series of choices. To get to this point I have made some pretty great choices, and I am confident that in the future I will undoubtedly follow that same pattern. So, the top that I couldn't live without a month ago sits at the bottom of the plastic garbage bag being crushed by the pants, the shoes and the bracelet that I gasped for when I saw them in the store window. And, there is a bag in the closet with other things that I hope to sit down with in the future, unpack, make piles and reminisce about my life in the past.

7 comments:

Big Mike Mendez said...

Such material possessions will seem trite once you return from your worldly adventures. You'll see how people live full and happy existences without all those petty things we seem so wrapped up in and you'll realize they not only are they unnecessary, but have no place in defining who you are as a person, but serve only as sentimental markers of time.


But all the same, keep those jeans.

Randy said...

Hi Christine,
I just read the front page article about you in the Register! I admire you sense of adventure and decision to take an unconventional path in you life! Your story reminds me of a saying I like. "The Pessimist complains about the wind. The Optimist expects it to change. The Realist adjusts his sails."
Here's another. "Your life is an adventure story that only you get to experience... and you can't skip ahead to see what happens next!"

Best wishes!
Randy

Anonymous said...

Very inspirational! keep up the great work that you do! Martinis may tip better but you cannot put a price on these rewards!
goodgord@yahoo.com

Leon said...

Reading your Register article brought back memories of why I joined the Peace Corps some 20 years ago. It was the best decision I ever made. I have met countless numbers of RPCVs over the years who served in every corner of the world and did every job imaginable and their stories are the same, they would do it all over again in a heartbeat. It will be a wild roller coaster ride, but in the end, you will have a lifetime of experiences packed into 2 years. Enjoy!

Unknown said...

Your turn! Go off and explore and I'll stay back and read for a while.

Keep in touch and I'll look for you on FB and maybe skype just to keep the world in perspective.

If I blow into your neighborhood I'll look you up.

Unknown said...

To Christine Moore,
I have a daughter who is 34 years old and has just moved to Macedonia and just married a young engineer there. I would like to speak with you about contacting my daughter in Skopja...She was born and grew up in Newport Beach and attended Santa Margarita High School.
My name is Charles Griffin and my Phone Number is 949-759-3589... Please call ... My email is
c_e_griffin@msn.com

Glenn said...

Christine. You are a great writer. Can't wait to read about your adventures in the peace Corp. Think about writing a book.