"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." — Dr. Seuss
Jazz Concert
As the piano player on the stage in The Jam Band began to play the first notes of "The Entertainer" by Scott Joplin, I could finally relax into the cushion of my seat in the House of Culture and enjoy the rest of An Evening of American Jazz and Culture in Kavadarci with the rest of the 200 person audience which included the U.S. Ambassador, and The Mayor. Hours before, when shaking hands and greeting people to the first event of American Culture Evening presented by 5 kids dressed as important figures from American History giving speeches held at the small park, I was nervous that it would all turn out fine. The kids, dressed as George Washington, Statue of Liberty, William Clark, Abraham Lincoln and Neil Armstrong, confidently expressed their speeches to the crowd gathered around the stage. Days before, there were concerns about whether the projection of the presentation of 5 periods of American History in the Twentieth Century featuring 2 prominent Jazz artists from each period their songs and styling that influenced the unique American musical form. Ultimately, this part of the show was not a success, however, there was room inside for all of the viewers who wanted to enjoy the performance. Weeks before, when I heard The Jam Band rehearse the first 2 minutes of "Take 5", I was so impressed at the raw talent from these artists from Kavadarci that I had to leave their tiny rehearsal room with my hands over my head while listening to the band laugh behind me. Weeks before that, when I sat down with my fellow coordinator of the event, the best actor from Kavadarci who would also serve as the emcee for the event, we discussed that it was important for everyone who worked on the event to be from our town of Kavadarci, not only to showcase their talents, but to prove to the residence that they have the capacity to create great works themselves. Days before that, when the Economic Sector a the the Municipality presented me with the U.S. Embassy grant for American Culture projects, I was uninspired and felt that they were just placating me with something to keep me busy.
After month of planning, days of coordinating, hours of meeting,countless coffees,and an hour and twenty minutes of American Jazz, the crowd rose to their feet in a standing ovation for a job well done.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment